31 October 2018

Jia Dao: Two 5-Character Quatrains 賈島: 五言絕句兩首

Today, I am re-posting my rendition of two 5-character quatrains by Jia Dao.  I hope you will love them as much as I do:-


A:  Jia Dao (779 – 843): The Swordsman

For ten long years, a sword I whetted,  
Its frosty blade, as yet, untried.
Today I hold it, unsheathed, before you;
Of you, to whom was justice denied?

Translated by Andrew W.F. Wong (Huang Hongfa)   譯者黃宏發
4th May 2015 (revised 7.5.15; 18.5.15; 22.5.15)
Translated from the original - 賈島:  劍客

十年磨一劍
霜刃未曾試
今日把示
B:  Jia Dao (779—843): Visiting the Absent Hermit

Beneath the pine-trees, I ask of a lad I see.
Away is the master gathering herbs, says he,
Up in this mountain, but where? I cannot tell, 
For there the clouds are deep and dense as be. 

Translated by Andrew W.F. Wong (Huang Hongfa)       譯者: 黃宏發
17 March 2008 (revised 19.3.08; 7.7.08; 17.7.08; 19.7.08; 21.11.08; 25.11.08; 26.11.08)
Translated from the original - 賈島: 尋隱者不遇

松下問童子
言師採藥去
只在此山中
雲深不知處

2 comments:

mazhar said...


This site is helping for every person and easily get money through the bitcoin ATM card. Please visit this site for bitcoin atm card ranking. you can change any money into another currency in anywhere in the world.

Unknown said...

In order to stay connected to the world around you, mobiles were invented and to use it you need to keep recharging it with balance. The basic concept of top up phone with bitcoin money is quite different from the paper money.

 

Classical Chinese Poems in English

Loading...

Search This Blog

Followers