19 September 2018

王維 Wang Wei: 鳥鳴澗 Birdsong Brook



Today, I am posting a beautiful little quatrain by Wang Wei entitled "Birdsong Brook"which I like very much.  I hope you too will like Wang's original poem and Vikram Seth's rendition (reproduced in my notes) and my rendition of here posted.  Here we go:-. 

Wang Wei (701-761): Birdsong Brook


1       At ease and I see osmanthus flowers falling---
2       A night so still, a mountain so hollow in spring.
3       Up comes the moon awaking the mountain birds,  
4       By the brook in spring, then and again they sing.


Translated by Andrew W.F. Wong (Huang Hongfa)  譯者黃宏發
30th April 2009 (revised 6.5.09; 7.5.09; 6.6.11)

Translated from the original - 

王維: 鳥鳴澗

1       人閒桂花落
2       夜靜春山空
3       月出驚山鳥
4       時鳴春澗中

Notes:

*  This English rendition is in pentameter (5 metrical feet) to emulate the original 5-character lines.  The rhyme scheme is AAXA, more demanding than the original XAXA, both being rhyme schemes of the Chinese quatrain.  I am indebted to Vikram Seth from whose superb rendition of the same poem, I have borrowed not only the title of “Birdsong Brook” and his rhyme of “Spring” and “sing”, but also his phrase “Up comes the moon”.  His rendition, on p.4 of his “Three Chinese Poets: Wang Wei, Li Bai and Du Fu”, HarperCollins (1993) or Faber (1992) which I like very much (except for his stressing the first syllable in every single line which, in my view, makes the poem sound harsh), is as follows:-
1  Idly I watch cassia flowers fall.
2  Still is the night, empty the hill in Spring.
3   Up comes the moon, startling the mountain birds.
4  Once in a while in the Spring brook they sing.

*  Line 1:  I had first considered using the “lie idly/leisurely” approach to translate 人閒 but have eventually embraced the “at ease and see” approach, hence, “At ease and I see”.  The correct name for 桂花 is “osmanthus” while “cassia” is the name for 桂皮.  I have used “falling” rather than “fall” both for the rhyme and for being more descriptive of the scene.

*  Line 2:  For I have chosen “hollow” over “empty”.

*  Line 3:  I am indebted to Vikram Seth for the phrase “Up comes the moon” (see note above).  (startling) is taken to mean 驚醒, hence, “awaking”.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shouldn't it be: 時春澗中?

Andrew W.F. Wong 黃宏發 said...

Dear Jan, Thank you very much. You are right and I have now rectified it in my post. Thank you again. Andrew Wong.

Unknown said...

I have to thank you! You lead us to wonderful poems and guide us expertly through them. Sometimes I try to work on short poems myself, but stumble over unknown names of historical persons and places and have to abandon the work. If I succeed in putting at least the gist of a poem into a German translation it is thanks to you.
https://www.lokalkompass.de/bedburg-hau/natur/wang-wei-am-vogelruf-bach-d988389.html
https://www.lokalkompass.de/bedburg-hau/kultur/li-shen-772-846-bauernschaft-d852935.html
https://www.lokalkompass.de/bedburg-hau/kultur/li-shen-772-846-jedes-koernchen-hirse-im-lenz-gesaet-d852428.html

 

Classical Chinese Poems in English

Loading...

Search This Blog

Followers