04 July 2020

王維 Wang Wei: 相思 Mutual Yearning


Today, I am posting my rendition of Wang Wei's beautiful little quatrain "Mutual Yearning" which I completed years ago in 2008, but never posted.  I hope you will enjoy it.  Here we go:

Wang Wei (701-761): Mutual Yearning

1            There grow in the south country: jequirity trees;  
2            O how they shoot and sprout, O when comes spring!
3            I pray you pick and pluck, the more, their red beans,
4            A stuff which best intimates our mutual yearning.

Translated by Andrew W.F. Wong (Huang Hongfa)   譯者:黃宏發
10 July 2008 (revised 12.7.08; 16.7.08; 19.7.08)
Translated from the original - 王維: 相思

1            紅豆生南國
2            ()來發幾枝
3            ()君多釆()
4            此物最相思

Notes:

*    This English rendition is in pentameter (5 metrical feet) to emulate the original 5-character lines.  The rhyme scheme is XAXA as in the original.

*    Title and line 4:  It is hard to translate相思 but I think “mutual yearning” or “mutual longing” best approximates it.  I had earlier considered using words such as “reciprocal”, “reciprocating”, “reciprocated”, “requited”, “two-way”, and “likewise”, but have decided that “mutual yearning” is best.

*    Lines 1 and 3:  I had considered using “red bean trees” for紅豆in line 1 but have decided to use the proper name “jequirity trees” because the poem refers to the ornamental red jequirity beans and not the edible red beans.  I have somehow covered the image of “red beans” in line 3 as the line, as written, requires an object, and as the “stuff”, as subject, in line 4 requires a clear and proximate reference to “red beans’.  It is not clear if in line 3 should mean “more beans” or “more often”.  I prefer the latter as the poet, obviously, is not asking his friend/ lover to harvest in bulk the ornamental red jequirity beans.  I could have accordingly rendered it as “… pick and pluck, more often, their red beans”, but have finally decided for “… pick and pluck, the more, their red beans” which, though more inclined towards “more beans”, is ambiguous enough to also cover “more often”.

*    Line 2:  I had considered “O how their shoots sprout” but have decided for “O how they shoot and sprout” which sounds far better.

*    Line 4:  The word “intimates” here means hints, indirectly indicates, implies, suggests, etc. which word subtly intimates an intimacy between the poet and the person being addressed to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There grow in south country jequirity trees,
They shoot and sprout with spring a dawning;
I pray you pick more of them rosary peas,
The fruits that best befit our mutual yearning.

- a hasty repartee

Ray Heaton said...

This may be of interest, https://www.degruyter.com/view/title/534167?tab_body=overview

Michelle's Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle's Kitchen said...

I love this piece 特別因為自己熱愛南國(粤),亦熟悉同名小調「相思」經常被譜入粤曲。

By the way Sir, thank you for sharing with me your blog. It's been my pleasure meeting and serving you at the SK poll station last evening.

Best,
Michelle

Andrew W.F. Wong 黃宏發 said...

Dear Anonymous, Thank you for your rendition.

Dear Ray, Thank you for suggesting the "degruyter" book (translations by Paul Rouser) which I glanced through but cannot find Wang Wei's quatrains, probably in the next volume, this being Volume 1. Thank you again.

Dear Michelle, Thank you for your kind words.

Best wishes, Andrew Wong.

Anonymous said...

My name is Vladislav. I read your blog for about a year. Here is a small token of my deep respect and infinite gratitude.

This is written in a more pointilistic manner, in order to emphasize the pulse of the original.



red beads grow in the southern lands

so many branches bloom in the spring time

please my lord pluck and collect them more

they're the best love longing sign

Anonymous said...

PS

Unfortunately, my graphic subdivision of the 5 pulses is lost. I hope, it's still "audible".

Andrew W.F. Wong 黃宏發 said...

Dear Vladislav,

Thank you for following my blog and for your rendition of the same poem. I had done mine in pentameter (5-beat lines) to emulate the original's 5-character (penta-syllabic) lines. The rhyme scheme follows the original's: xAxA (spring, yearning). However, I had only been able to provided a caesura (pause) after the third beat, and this falls short of following the original's caesura position which is after the original's second character (syllable). Although I hasten to add that for Chinese 5-character lines, the caesura is invariably after the second character in a 2+3 prosody, I have settled for a 3+2 prosody insofar as this poem is concerned.

As for your rendition, I do not quite catch what you mean by "pointilistic" and "pulse". I surmise you might be following Gerard Manley Hopkins' "sprung rhythm" prosody which I am unable to handle despite both Hopkins and I are pursuing "accentual verse", i.e. counting stresses to determine line length. If by "pulse" you refer to "stress", let us see what your rendition looks and sounds like:

1 red beads grow in the southern lands
dum dum dum di di dum di dum

2 so many branches bloom in the spring time
di dumdi dum di dum di di dum dum

3 please my lord pluck and collect them more
dum di dum dum di di dum di dum

4 they're the best love longing sign
dum di dum dum dum di dum

Although this rendition features 5 stresses each line, the lines do not sound like 5-beat lines. The 2 clusters of triple stresses ("red beads grow" in line 1, and "best love longing" in line 4) would normally be read with "beads" and "love" unstressed or, at most, less stressed. as such, it is prosaic and lack rhythm. I would rather have it revised in tetrameter (4 beats), rhymed xAxA, and with a caesura in the middle, as follows:

1 Red beads grow | in the southern country,
dum di dum di di dum di dum di

2 So many branches | shoot out in spring.
di dumdi dum di dum di di dum

3 I hope you'll often | pick and keep them,
di dum di dumdi dum di dum ti

4 They best signify | our mutual yearning.
di dum dumdidi di dum di dum di



Malaysia Translators said...

Nice post
When it comes to Thai translation in Malaysia, there's no better choice than MalysiaTranslators.com. Our team of experienced linguists is dedicated to providing you Thai translation in Malaysia with accurate translations that are tailored to your specific needs. Whether you need to translate legal documents, marketing materials, or any other content, we've got you covered.

 

Classical Chinese Poems in English

Loading...

Search This Blog

Followers